The PLM Green Global Alliance recently hosted its first in a series of panel discussions and interviews that will explore sustainability topics with enterprise PLM solution providers. These forums will extend our recent article on the Intersection of PLM and Sustainability where we next hope to learn about examples of progress in sustainability being made by solution providers, their partners and customers.
Our inaugural interview was with Darren West, Product Manager Lead for SAP’s Circular Economy Solutions, who is based in the United Kingdom. We were excited to speak with SAP after reading their numerous recent announcements about the importance of sustainability and hear how they “walk the talk.”
PLM Green co-founders and contributors Jos Voskuil and Klaus Brettschneider spoke with Darren to better understand the role of the circular economy and SAP’s contributions in creating more sustainable businesses in a sustainable environment.
In this interview discussion you will learn:
- Why is sustainability and the circular economy important to SAP?
- How does SAP “walk the talk” about green issues like sustainability?
- How is SAP helping its customers transition from a linear product model to a circular one?
- Which enterprise solutions will sustainability projects intersect (e.g. PLM, ERP, SCM, ESG)?
- What is the EU’s Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) initiative and how will it accelerate the move to sustainability and a circular economy?
- What are some of the complexities that EPR regulations will create for data collection, standards, exchange, protection, and reporting?
- What are examples from industries, customers, and their initiatives like Eco-Modulation for electronics or the Catena-X Project for automotive?
- Can Digital Twin Models and Digital Product Passports help with recycling component materials?
- What can we expect to see from SAP in the future and where can one go to learn more?
Read Jos’s full article on the interview with SAP about Sustainability HERE, including additional references, then watch the recorded interview below or on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCTudI8Y42A.
The slides referenced during the discussion may also be viewed HERE.
To receive notice of future interviews and panel discussions on the intersection of PLM and Sustainability, follow the PLM Green Global Alliance on LinkedIn and subscribe to receive our news announcements by email.